Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sar El at Hatzerim Air Force Base (1996)

Here is the calendar from my Sar El experience in February/March 1996:

I was looking for pictures of my time there, but seem to have misplaced them. I had a good time on the base. I was the only guy out of half a dozen OTZMA participants, so I had an entire barracks all to myself. FINALLY...my own shower! My own bedroom! MY OWN TOILET!! All mine! For some reason, there was NOBODY else in the barrack (a huge building). I assume it was up for a refurb.

We spent our days cleaning guns with an IDF soldier the girls nicknamed "Vegas," because he grew up in Las Vegas...he didn't really like that. Lots of tiyulim (trips) and lectures, too.

The most memorable moment, though, was when we went to visit the Air Force museum and found a mannequin dressed an a soldier hanging from the helicopter skid. We posed, pretending to be hanging from the dude, making all sorts of crazy faces...and then we realized what we were doing: Posing and joking with a representation of Ron Arad, the Air Force hero taken hostage in Lebanon. Pretty fucking stupid, but would you have expected any more from a group of post-collegiate North Americans? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment